Best Mold Detector Comparison Table
Mold Detector FAQ
1. What Is a Mold Detector?
A mold detector is a simple test or device that works to determine whether or not there is harmful mold present in your house. Each of the detectors featured on this list functions a bit differently, but all of them work to provide you with accurate results on the safety and health of your home.
2. How Does a Mold Detector Work?
There are a few different types of mold detectors out there that will detect things in different ways. Some detectors are actual devices that will examine the quality of the air in your home. By doing this, they will be able to pick up particles from the air and determine if there are harmful bacteria, chemicals, or molds in your home.
There are also a number of detection kits that you can use to get clear and concise results on potential mold in your home. Some of these tests can be done completely at home. Through clear instructions, users will collect samples from different rooms of their homes, follow proper test procedures, and have immediate results that they can evaluate. Other tests can be sent in to professionals who will not only be able to tell you if there is mold present in your home, but also be able to tell you what type of mold is present.
3. Can Mold Detectors Detect Other Things in My Home?
Yes and no. Certain mold detectors, like the detection devices, will be able to tell if there are other harmful agents in your home. Certain tests may also indicate whether there is a high level of unwanted substances floating around in your home’s air. However, quite a few of the mold detectors featured on this list solely focus their energy on mold detection and will not be able to alert you if there are other harmful agents present.
4. Where Can You Buy the Best Mold Detectors?
Many hardware stores and general stores will sell some type of mold detector. To ensure you are getting one of the best mold detectors out there, be sure to head over to Amazon. We have provided direct links to all the products featured on this list.
5. Why Should You Buy the Best Mold Detectors?
You want to be sure you are buying a product that is reliable, accurate, and effective. You also want to know what you are getting yourself into before selecting a mold detector. The best way to do this is by buying the best products out there.
How We Reviewed
After searching through a wide range of products on the web, we narrowed down our list of products to 10. Once we had these top ten picks, we further looked into each of the products’ potential. We reviewed their features, the way they work, their price, their accuracy, and the work required to utilize the detector. After considering all of that additional information, we were able to make a decision on which mold detector was the best overall.
Overall Price Range
Each of the products are a bit different in design and will, therefore, cost a different amount. Certain things that can affect the price are the brand, the amount of space it can detect mold from, the type of mold detector it is, the level of accuracy it can provide, and when you choose to buy the detector. There are also a number of products out there that may stray from our estimated price range due to time, design, and quality.
What We Reviewed
- Pro-Lab MO109 Mold Do It Yourself Test Kit
- Temtop P600 Air Quality Laser Particle Detector
- Blueair Aware Indoor Air Quality Monitor
- Healthful Home 5-Minute Mold Test
- My Mold Detective MMD103 Mold Test Kit
- Mold Armor FG500 Do It Yourself Mold Test Kit
- MOLDetect Three Sample Mold Test Kit
- VOCs, Active Mold, & Formaldehyde Tests
- DIY Mold Test, Mold Testing Kit
- Air Oasis Air Quality Test Kit
Pro-Lab MO109 Mold Do It Yourself Test Kit
- Safe and Easy to Use. Simple instructions inside.
- The mold test kit allows you to collect Air, Surface or Bulk samples that can be sent to our AIHA Accredited Lab for one...
- Pre-Paid First Class Return envelope included to send back mold samples to the Laboratory
The Pro-Lab MO109 Mold Do It Yourself Test Kit is an affordable way to detect mold in your home. This is an ideal first step in toxic mold detection. The test mostly focuses on detecting black mold, but it can detect other substances as well.
Since a lab will be the one processing the test, the accuracy rate is quite high. Just be sure to follow all the provided instructions.
Temtop P600 Air Quality Laser Particle Detector
- Temtop laser particle detector can accurately detect indoor air quality
- The laser particle sensor can directly transform the concentration of pollutants in the air into visual data and prvide...
- Easy to operate with simple system settings through few function buttons. Large TFT color LCD screen intelligently...
The Temtop P600 Air Quality Laser Particle Detector is able to detect a multitude of substances in your home with a simple click of a button. This device analyzes the particles in the air, providing you with quick feedback. The digital screen is easy to read and navigate and the device has a 20,000-hour lifespan.
This product does not exclusively analyze mold, meaning that its purpose is multi-faceted. It may not be as accurate in terms of defining mold issues as other detectors.
Blueair Aware Indoor Air Quality Monitor
- Monitor indoor air quality with the Blueair Aware and track airborne particles wirelessly with data sent directly to...
- The Blue Friend App. monitors particulate matter, total VOC, carbon dioxide, temperature, humidity, and sends/stores...
- Track and trend air quality data over time and receive alerts to your smart phone (iPhones with iOS 8 and up or Android...
The Blueair Aware Indoor Air Quality Monitor works to provide you with constant information about the air in your home. This device pairs with an app on your phone that will provide you with updates on particle matter, carbon dioxide, VOC, humidity, and other indoor pollutants. It has a sleek design and is simple to set up.
Again, this product does not exclusively examine mold, and therefore may not be as accurate and efficient as some of the other mold detectors reviewed here.
Healthful Home 5-Minute Mold Test
- As Seen on the Today Show. Detect Mold Spores & Allergens in Minutes. Even If You Can't See It. No Waiting for Labs.
- Accurate and Safe! The only test that also detects spores and allergy-causing mold-particulates.
- Easy-to-use. . . three quick steps. Test for mold yourself before you rent or buy.
The Healthful Home 5-Minute Mold Test is a quick way to get the results you need. There are no labs required for this test, meaning that after you collect the samples, you will immediately have the results. It works to detect the worst types of molds out there and can also detect allergens in your home environment.
Since this test is specific to mold, it is highly accurate and reliable. The test has patented technology and can provide great results. However, it is important to follow each of the steps correctly in order for it to be accurate.
My Mold Detective MMD103 Mold Test Kit
- MOLD TEST KIT: Contains 1 air sampling pump, 4 air sample cassettes (1 for outdoor control, 3 for indoor rooms), 1...
- ANALYSIS FEES: An additional $35 per sample lab analysis fee is due at time of online sample registration. Standard...
- FAST & EASY TO USE: A quick 5 minutes to take a sample (must have air sampling pump) and easy to read, color-coded lab...
The My Mold Detective MMD103 Mold Test Kit is able to detect mold in up to three rooms of your home. This kit comes with sample cassettes for three rooms and a single outdoor sample. It is easy and quick to supply the necessary samples for detection, and the device can be used as many times as you like.
Since the results of this detector are done in a lab, the results are highly accurate.
Mold Armor FG500 Do It Yourself Mold Test Kit
- MOLD ARMOR Do It Yourself Mold Test kit safely and easily tests for the presence of mold with visible results in as...
- The Do It Yourself Mold Test Kit can be used for indoor or outdoor mold testing. Tests indoor air quality for unseen...
- There are three testing methods: (1) Indoor Air Quality Test Method (2) Air Conditioning & Heating Sample Method (3)...
The Mold Armor FG500 Do It Yourself Mold Test Kit can give you full results in 48 hours. The process is both simple and safe to do. It works well and will be able to provide you with accurate results in about two days time. This is an affordable way to provide peace of mind in your home.
Since this test is done by you, you must be sure to follow the instructions very carefully to ensure you get the most accurate results. However, when done right, this test can be incredibly accurate.
MOLDetect Three Sample Mold Test Kit
- Now Analyzed by an AIHA-LAP, LLC Laboratory!! Offering Accredited Analysis!
- Easy Instructions With Materials For Surface Sample Mold Tests in 3 separate locations
- Easy tape lift method detects living & dead spores, both which are detrimental to health
The MOLDetect Three Sample Mold Test Kit is a great way to test for mold in three separate areas of your home. All the necessary materials will be provided to you to easily tape-lift potential mold spores. The kit can then be sent back to an accredited lab for analysis. The process is quick, effective, and accurate.
Since the results are processed in an accredited lab, they are sure to be highly accurate.
VOCs, Active Mold, & Formaldehyde Tests
- Lab Analysis is Included in Cost**
- Time sensitive, Single-use indoor air quality test measures hundreds of VOCs, hidden mold, and formaldehyde
- Gives information on what in your home could be making you sick
The VOCs, or Volatile Organic Compounds, Active Mold, & Formaldehyde Tests are a great way to detect a large array of harmful substances in your home. It is a simple test to do that will yield highly accurate results from an accredited lab. The results here can help you understand not only what makes your house smell, but what might be making you sick.
The results of this test is processed by a lab, making the findings highly accurate.
DIY Mold Test, Mold Testing Kit
- Easy, Safe and Simple to use (quick start guide and full booklet included)
- Get Peace of Mind and protect your family from harmful Mold and mycotoxins
- Lab Fees and detailed report included in Price (except in Texas)
The DIY Mold Test, Mold Testing Kit is a simple and safe way to detect unwanted mold spores in your home. This kit provides you with all the resources you need to get accurate results and provides free lab testing and consultation. This way, once you get your results, you can understand exactly what your next steps should be.
This test includes a lab analysis and expert consultation, making their results highly accurate.
Air Oasis Air Quality Test Kit
The Air Oasis Air Quality Test Kit can provide you with substantial information on mold, bacteria, and yeast inside your home. This test is simple to do and comes with two test kits inside, allowing you to use it in multiple houses or test your house again a few years down the line. Plus, it is both highly affordable and highly effective.
The results can be quite accurate as long as you carefully follow all the instructions.
Depending on how you want to receive results and exactly what you want to test, there are a number of great mold detectors out on the market. Our pick for the best mold detector is the DIY Mold Test, Mold Testing Kit. This kit is affordable, easy to use, and provides in-depth details about your situation and how to proceed. Another great choice is the VOCs, Active Mold, & Formaldehyde Tests, as it tests for more than just mold, but it is significantly more expensive.