Smart door locks are useful little devices that allow you to enjoy greater control over your home. Features like Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity enable remote locking and unlocking of doors from anywhere, making smart locks especially useful when you’re away from home. If you’ve been looking for the best smart lock to secure your home with, this guide can make the search easier for you. Take a look through the ten locks we’ve reviewed because one or more of these models is likely to be a perfect fit for your needs.
Best Smart Lock Comparison Table
Smart Locks FAQ
Let’s first run through some common, fundamental questions about these locks.
What Is a Smart Lock?
Generally speaking, a smart lock is a device with both electronic and mechanical components. It can be locked or unlocked wirelessly by authorized users connected to the lock or to a system hub with any authorized smartphone, tablet, or similar device. These operations involve the use of an Internet protocol and a cryptographic key. Once you’ve performed an operation once, it should be simple and intuitive going forward.
What Are Some Benefits of Using These Locks?
Smart locks offer valuable benefits like increased control over your home’s security and connectivity that contributes to efficient, secure home management overall. They also offer significant convenience to users, in part because most smart locks do not require the use of keys or cards, which can easily be misplaced.
What Are the Different Types of Smart Locks?
The types of smart locks available on the market today can be differentiated primarily by their locking/unlocking mechanism. Some smart door locks can be operated by waving or rotating your smartphone while others require touch controls to function. Some locks use biometrics, whereas others use voice commands or RFID.
What Factors Should I Consider When Buying Smart Door Locks?
Before you invest in a smart lock, it’s best to consider some essential factors like the durability of the device, its ease of use, the strength of the various connectivity options it comes with, and the level of intuitiveness and responsiveness that specific lock provides.
Where Can I Buy Smart Locks?
You can purchase smart locks from online sources such as Amazon or visit an appropriate retail store and take a look at your options before purchasing one of them. Many hardware, home products, and electronics retailers carry home security devices.
How We Reviewed
We performed significant research and pored over user reviews and expert opinions to narrow down our list to ten of the best, most advanced locks (and comparable or alternative security devices) available on the market. Considering factors like their effectiveness, their durability, any innovative or unique features they come with, and value for your money, we assessed all these products and ultimately came to a verdict on the best option overall.
Overall Price Range of the Best Smart Locks
The pricier options generally come with a host of useful features such as fingerprint recognition and access, support for multiple codes, app connectivity, and a sleek, stylish design. Lower-priced models are likely to be more basic in their functionality, and they are often plainer in their appearance as well.
What We Reviewed
- Upgrade your existing deadbolt: August smart locks fit on the inside of your door, making your regular deadbolt smarter,...
- Grant access with the August App: Forget key copying. Quickly and easily share permanent, scheduled or temporary access...
- Easy to install on any door: Even if you’re not so handy, installation only takes about 10 minutes. August locks fit...
This August smart lock is a simple, yet highly effective electronic door lock that lets you remotely control the locking mechanism of your doors. Equipped with support for all the major voice-assistant platforms and smart home hubs, this electronic lock can be installed in minutes. It is designed to work with almost all types of single-cylinder deadbolts, and it allows you to remotely lock and unlock the door easily with only your smartphone.
This lock is warranted against defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for a period of one year from the date of purchase.
- Works with Alexa for voice control (hub required, Alexa device and hub sold separately)
- Touch Screen keypad and lock cylinder on exterior and thumb turn interior. Door thickness range is 1.37 to 1.75 standard
- Stores up to 30 personalized user codes at a time
Available in a wide range of attractive colors and finishes, the Schlage Z-Wave Connect is an electronic deadbolt with ANSI Grade I security rating. With the ability to store up to 30 different user codes, this deadbolt eliminates the need to carry a set of physical keys. You can even integrate this electronic deadbolt with your existing Z-Wave-powered home automation system to enable remote access via any compatible smartphone or similar device. Equipped with three different alert modes, this Schlage lock automatically senses activity at the door and appropriately sounds the alarm to deter unauthorized access.
The manufacturer offers a lifetime limited mechanical & finish warranty and a 1-year limited electronics warranty covering residential applications.
- World's First 5-in-1 Keyless Entry Smart Lock, Fingerprint + Code + Smartphone + Knock to Open + Key
- Advanced Fingerprint Identification, Anti-peep Touch Keypad Technology, View Logs via Ultraloq App; Temperature: Inside...
- Reversible Handle, Weatherproof, Intuitive OLED Display, Long Battery Life, Low Battery Alarm
Intuitively designed for both left- and right-handed doors, the Ultraloq UL3 is a highly versatile smart lock that offers both fingerprint and passcode access. Featuring Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity, this electronic lock can be paired with a compatible smartphone to view access logs and enable remote access. Unlike most other electronic locks, the Ultraloq UL3 supports unique smartphone gesture-based unlocking options such as knock-to-open and shake-to-open.
The Ultraloq UL3 comes with an 18-month electronic components warranty and a lifetime mechanical warranty from the manufacturer.
- Lock and unlock your door by asking Siri or with the Apple home app, when you're at home
- Access from anywhere when you have an Apple TV (4TH GEN or later) near your front door
- Create daily schedules to ensure your door is locked at the same time each day. Adjustable latch
The Yale Assure Lock SL is a simple smart lock solution that enables you to replace your existing mechanical deadbolt using just a screwdriver. Equipped with an illuminated touchpad, this electronic lock offers complete freedom from keys, thereby minimizing the chances of key bumping and lock picking. Unlike some other models, this Yale lock will not lock you out in the event of a low or dead battery because it can simply be charged up using a standard 9V battery if needed.
This key-free lock comes with a limited lifetime warranty on the finish and the mechanical parts, plus a 1-year electronic warranty.
- Sleek, low-profile design with a glass-like surface that has patented SecureScreen technology to help prevent code...
- Does not work via zigbee or amazon key, and is incompatible with xfinity; User Codes - Up to 30 customizable user codes...
- Works with Alexa for voice control (hub required, Alexa device and hub are sold separately)
Featuring a minimalistic industrial design, the Kwikset Obsidian lock comes with patented SecureScreen technology that prevents unauthorized access via fingerprint and code detection. By pairing this electronic deadbolt with Amazon Alexa, you can enable remote operation via simple, preset voice commands. With a dedicated low-battery alarm and a backup power source, the Kwikset Obsidian ensures that you never get locked out of your own home.
This electronic deadbolt comes with a lifetime warranty on the finish and the mechanical parts, along with a 1-year warranty covering electronics.
- Durable Resistive Touchscreen with matte finish to protect against fingerprints and smudges
- Anti-pick shield protects against lock tampering
- This product is manufactured in Mexico
Featuring a design that is similar to the same manufacturer’s Connect Camelot model, the Schlage Connect Century deadbolt comes with an anti-pick shield that prevents unauthorized access via lock-picking. Powered by patented Z-Wave technology, this electronic deadbolt can be quickly paired with a Z-Wave-compatible hub to enable remote access over the Web via your smartphone. The durable alloy construction combined with a high-quality touchscreen ensure that this lock stands up well against environmental and weather damage.
The manufacturer offers a lifetime limited mechanical & finish warranty and a 1-year limited electronics warranty on residential applications of this deadbolt.
- KEYLESS ENTRY AND CONVENIENCE: Lock and unlock your door with one finger tap on your smartphones via bluetooth or by...
- HIGHLY-SECURE SMART LOCK: The world's first patented peek-proof smart door lock, the next step in automation. The unique...
- FAMILY SHARING WITH EKEYS: Each family member could get their own smart code for keyless entry. PIN Genie is designed to...
Equipped with unique, intuitive, and highly advanced security features, this Lockly keyless smart lock deters break-ins via code detection and by shuffling the number combination every single time. With support for both auto-locking and one-touch locking mechanisms, this electronic deadbolt offers enhanced security on several fronts. By pairing the Lockly smart door lock with a compatible smartphone, you can control and monitor all access to your home via a dedicated app that will also track and log the unit’s entire lock-and-unlock history.
Lockly offers a limited lifetime mechanical and finish warranty and a limited two-year electronics warranty to the original consumer.
No products found.
No products found.
Designed to work in tandem with the Nest secure alarm system, this Yale deadbolt lock offers a completely secure and tamper-proof locking solution to help keep your house safe from intruders. This electronic lock features a sleek and minimalistic design that can be seamlessly integrated into an existing single-cylinder deadbolt slot in your door. You can even configure the Yale deadbolt lock to auto-lock after a pre-set time increment, thereby enhancing the security of your home even further.
Yale offers a limited lifetime warranty on the mechanical parts and finish, and a 1-year limited warranty on the electrical components.
- DOUBLE VERIFICATION MODE: Unlock by User code + fingerprint or fingerprint + different fingerprint, when you enable this...
- LARGE CAPACITY: 256 fingerprints can be enrolled, 300 users defined 4-12 digit codes, works well for kids and the elder.
- OLED DISPLAY: Use the touchscreen to simply add or delete the user on the device. An OLED with intuitive information...
Equipped with a fingerprint sensor, a touchscreen keypad, and a physical key slot, this Ardwolf door lock is a comprehensive smart-security solution that guards against all intruders. The A10 offers a double-verification mode for additional security. The backup power source outlet on this lock allows you to attach a regular 9V battery and power up the system in case of a low or dead battery. This feature helps ensure that you never get locked out.
This lock comes with a 1-year warranty and local repair service if needed within the U.S.A.
- 720p HD video doorbell that lets you see, hear and speak to people from your phone, tablet, or select Echo device.
- Get notifications whenever motion is detected by adjusting your motion zones.
- With Live View, you can check in on your home any time through the Ring app.
As an alternative or addition to a system based on smart locks, you can make your home smarter and more secure with the Ring Wi-Fi video doorbell. Featuring a high-quality 720p video camera that provides a 180-degree horizontal field of view, the doorbell allows you to remotely monitor your entryway, porch area, or other location and even to speak with visitors. Additionally, this device can be set to send alerts to your configured devices upon detecting motion in the monitored area.
This product comes with a 1-year limited warranty, service included.
Based on our thorough review of the best smart locks we found on the market today, the Lockly keyless entry door lock comes out on top as the best product overall. Equipped with an intuitive touchscreen keypad system, this electronic lock offers advanced security by preventing passcode detection through fingerprint and smudge marks. Alternatively, if you’re already invested in a Z-Wave compatible home automation system, then we view the Schlage Z-Wave Connect Camelot a premier choice to consider.
Last update on 2021-10-20 at 03:32 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API